For the last quarter century I’ve had a passion for photography and for sharing with others a view of the world from behind my lens. In 2011, with the support of friends and family, that passion become a career with the launch of my own website.
I grew up in South Florida, learning the art of photography on a Canon AE-1 that served me well for many years, this gave me the tactile pleasure that shooting and developing film brings and created an unbreakable bond between me and cameras.
As a child in the US, it was impossible not to be inspired by the amazing pictures from the great photographers such as Ansel Adams and Minor White. Their work planted in me a seed of desire that would later grow into an irresistible need to travel the world and share incredible sights with others through the medium of photography.
My photographic journey has been as long and varied as my physical journey and I constantly find new sources of inspiration from other photographers as I come across their work; such as Elia Locardi and Trey Ratcliff who are two of my favorite travel photographers. Often their images and techniques encourage me to try new things for myself and to take more risks in the way I present my images to the world at large.
I find myself drawn to the myriad panoramas on offer in the world around me, regardless of whether these are part of the natural world or man-made creations rising up from the ground. Most of my photography is based on capturing these landscapes and producing images, with a little help from my digital darkroom, that recreate the atmosphere of my surroundings as well as conveying the range of emotions I’m going through at the time. I sincerely believe that the ‘feeling’ of the picture is as important as the ‘look’ and that the most immersive images are those where the viewer gets caught up in the emotion of the moment the shutter button was pressed.
In my work I try to encourage people to see the world from different angles and to find beauty in whatever they see in the hope that my photographs inspire others to follow in the footsteps of so many generations before.
Aside from discovering and capturing beautiful landscapes, I also shoot interior design and architecture for holiday homes and real estate properties.
Thank you for taking the time to learn about me and to explore my website, please let me know your thoughts by signing my Guestbook.
EXHIBITION and HONORS:
"Melbourne Photowalk Exhibition"
Michael's Camera Video & Digital
Corner Elizabeth & Lonsdale Street, Melbourne
2nd August - 2nd September, 2013
"Visions of Australia"
Mr. Burch Cafe
129 McKinnon Road, McKinnon, Victoria
"Australia - A Land of Contrast"
Kingston Arts Centre
979 Nepean Highway, Moorabbin, Victoria
* Published image in Plus One Collection for Google Plus 2012
* Third place winner on Imaging Resource POTD - January 2013
* Third place winner at Camera House, Australia - January 2013
* Best of 2012 Covershot Exhibition held at Michael's Camera - February 2013
* Three images chosen for the cover of the Victorian Bayside Edition of the Yellow Pages - February 2013
* Kingston Lens Mist Awards & Exhibitions - Highly Commended Award and shortlisted 20 of 300 images - March 2013
* Google Plus Third Place winner in the Second Anniversary Photowalk Event in the Michael's Open Competition - July 2013
* Google Plus Winner in the Croydon Camera House Competition
* Published in Australian Photography - November 2013
* Covershot Winner of 2014 Australia Bayside Region Yellow Pages
* Australian Photography September winner for 'Wheels' Contest 2014
© Shari Mattox Photography